How does your keyboard sound? Is it starting to smell a little old and moldy? If your church is in need of an update or a new keyboard rig, let me give you some exciting news and a recommendation. In reading interview after interview with the pros who play keyboard live … the most popular recommendation that I have come across lately is to use Mainstage 2, but the problem used to be that you had to buy the entire apple logic suite at hundreds of dollars to get it …. how does $29 sound? Yeeha!
So, here is what you need:
1) mac computer: $599-$999-…
Just about any mac will do. The newer and faster the better. You can get a macbook air for $999 that would work fabulously, as well as make a great office desktop workstation too! If you are really trying to go inexpensive, get a mac mini, which starts at $599 and find a keyboard and mouse and screen lying around somewhere from an old computer and you’ll be just fine!
2) midi controller keyboard – $99 and up
You can get a m-audio controller keyboard for $99. I would personally recommend you go one more step up for $199 and get some more faders and knobs and buttons: oxygen. I’m not personally a fan of weighted keys, but you can get that too…
There you have it. That’s all you need. And I would dare put this keyboard rig for as low as $800 up against anything else you think you can find for anywhere near that amount of money … and if in a few years it starts sounding a little funky … just buy yourself some new software … mainstage 3 will probably be available for a similar price!
And then you’ll want to think about investing some time in learning about how to get the most out of your rig. Most people spend too much on equipment, and not enough on training to get the best out of their gear.
4) Training – $39
My top recommendation:
So there you go … wizard away my church keyboardists!!!!!
watch this french guy demo some of the sounds…
Just to compare, there’s great galery of 20 top software synths with reviews here:
And the king of them all, from the people I talk to is Spectra Sonic’s Omnisphere, but at $500 you would hope it would be!
My good friend Jon Vlach just pointed out to me that there are some free downloads of the mainstage and omnisphere patches used by Hillsong here:
Subscribe Via Email
- Fresh Keyboard Sounds with Mainstage now $29! 11 comments
- Favorite Modern Classic Hymns and arrangements 0 comments
- How the Microphone Changed the World 2 comments
- From Old Testament to Rock ‘n Roll 3 comments
- Register for 2013 Worship Camps 5 comments
- Are Guitar Solos of the Devil? 3 comments
- How fast should we sing the hymns? 0 comments
- Too Much Repetition? 2 comments
- How to engage the congregation: Part 3 “Balance Familiar and Fresh Songs” 0 comments
- Want to join the worship team? Here’s a toilet brush! 0 comments